PROMPT – Believe in Yourself
The beginning of a new year is a fresh start for many of us. Not everyone believes in New Years resolutions, but even so, it is a time to stop and think what you want to accomplish, what you want to try and what you want to stop with. Even if you don’t have any resolutions or ideas for this year, I want to say: believe in yourself! Let’s start this year off on a positive note.
Believe in Yourself
Sometimes I really do believe in myself, and when I do it can lead to great things. It took believing in myself to get me onto the MA in Writing, which meant moving across the country to live with strangers. It took believing in myself to get me to walk into the ETO show last year. I had to believe in myself when I propositioned a new acquaintance, and turned them into a friend with benefits. It took believing in myself for me to make the leap in expanding ‘my brand’ and starting my second website. Sometimes I am really good at believing in myself……..and sometimes I’m not.
About a month ago something happened that shook my belief in myself, it really knocked me, and I was struggling to pick myself back up. My awesome ‘big sis’ Oleander (after listening to me pour my heart out) sent me the following list with these instructions;
“I want you to read this list everyday and commit it to memory. Whenever you have a bad thought about yourself, I want you to read this list. Replace the lies you’ve been told about yourself with these truths.”
- I am a kind person.
- I make other people happy.
- I am beautiful.
- I am worthy.
- I am a strong, independent woman.
- I am talented.
- I have a gift for writing.
- I am fun to be with.
- I matter.
- I deserve to love myself.
- I deserve to treat myself with kindness.
- I am perfectly imperfect.
- I love all the parts of me, even the broken bits, because together, these pieces make me who I am.
- I have strength.
- I can rise above.
- I have learned from the past and will embrace today.
- I deserve respect.
- I also respect myself.
- I have friends who care about me, because I am a caring person.
- I am a good friend.
- I choose to love, honour and respect myself.
- I am loved.
- Everyday, I promise to read this list, and imprint these words on my mind, body and soul. These are my truths.
I’m doing my best to believe in myself, and to believe the things on this list but on the days I can’t believe in myself it really helps to know I have someone who believes in me.
For more Wicked Wednesday entries click the button below: